Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Weekend Getaway

CRBR shirts
At the beginning of this year I not only resolved to do the "thriftygrlchallenge" but I also wanted to get in shape. I started running in January and have slowly tried to build up endurance to run more miles. My sister Michelle( fellow thriftygrl) lives in Charleston and has ran the Cooper River Bridge Run before. I had heard about it and thought it might be a good run to train for. I had asked Nick's Aunt to run with me because she has lived in Charleston before and wanted to run CRBR. So weekend in Charleston with some of my favorite girls sounds like a good time!!!

The week of the race Nick's aunt fell ill with a nasty stomach virus as well as her whole household. So she couldn't make it and I headed out to Charleston on my own. The first night I got there we had a pasta party with my little sister and some of her friends that were running the race also. It was a great night of good food and fellowship.  I was able to meet a friend of my sisters who has decided to join the "thriftygrlchallenge" too!! How exciting that is to me to have more girls that want to do "thriftygrlchallenge" with us. (you will be hearing about her thrifty finds in the near future)Then we got in bed early so we'd be ready to leave out for a 4:30am departure to the race!!!! When 4:30 came we headed out and were as ready as we were going to be!!
Michelle & I before the race
our group



I finished the race in 1 hr. 9 min!! I was so happy with my time and the fact that I can still barely move my thighs doesn't even bother me! I did it and I can say I am proud of myself and how I did.  After the race there was a ton of free food!! As a thrifty grl I like the word free especially when it's connected to good food!! So after having some good munchies we headed back to the house for a long nap and for what the rest of the weekend had in store for us.

The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing and taking it easy. We ate some good Mexican, did a little thrifty shopping and went to a cool little festival in Summerville where we also ate good. That is pretty much my ideal girls weekend minus the 10k!! A little girl time is always good for the soul whether it is running a 10k together or just shopping and eating together. It always refreshes me!!

festival in Summerville

Thrifty girl thrifting

No comments:

Post a Comment