Friday, January 27, 2012

Tutorial: Shirt into Cardigan

 Hola!  I'm Michelle, the baby of the sisters in the "Thriftygirlchallenge" and I live near Charleston, SC.  I'm so excited to be posting on my sis's blog and to be sharing a cool tutorial.  This is the first month of the Thrifty Girl Challenge, and I think it has been a success!  I can't wait to see what we find during the other 11 months.  It hasn't been easy, especially when Target had an extra 15% off their clearance and Free Shipping or Loft outlet had 50% off everything including clearance, but it has been a great exercise in being creative!

One of the best things that happened this month is the clothing swap I went to last weekend.  I came in with 10 items and left with 12 including a Calvin Klien Dress, a Polo Shirt, a curling Iron (not pictured) and a cute red tunic dress.  Take a look at what I got!



At last minute I decided to snag the black and white Ann Taylor Tee.  It was a little short but I knew I could use it somehow.  So, I turned to Pinterest and found a way to turn a shirt into a cardigan with little effort.  So, Sunday night during commercial breaks I made this shirt into a super cute Cardigan.  Below is the Tutorial.


Stuff you need:
scissors
shirt
thread
button (found one laying around the house)
iron
iron bonding (hem tape will work too)


First, cut a straight line down the center, like so.


Next, turn inside out and using the iron bonding stuff (hemming tape could work) fold a half an inch back, put in the iron bonding, and iron.  It sticks!  Repeat on other side.


Turn right side out.  At this point, you can leave it or add a decorative button.  I decided to add a button. *If you want you can sew a small piece of ribbon in a loop on the other side to hook the two sides together.  This was my original plan but the shirt was too tight after I took a half inch out on each side.*


 Voila!  You have a new sharp looking cardigan.  Pair with a tank and your set! 

No comments:

Post a Comment